Statistics don’t lie, and they’re concerning. 45% of Aussies will experience a mental health disorder at some point in their lives. Alongside mental health disorders come drug addiction, eating problems, alcohol abuse and other issues that are extremely difficult to combat. In a society that is overwhelmed with mental health problems in people both young and old, how do we step up, raise awareness and develop strategies to help the crisis?
One way is for proud ambassadors of mental health to partner with organisations to deliver a message of hope, such as Sturts recent partnership with the Wesley Mission. For over 200 years, Wesley Mission has relied on the support of passionate volunteers and donors who are committed to advocating for the most vulnerable members of society. Encouraging people to come and collect an adorable ‘stress elephant’ and a bottle of his much-loved, award-winning water, Sturt brought light to the message Wesley Hospital are promoting: the stigma of mental health needs to be erased, by talking about the elephant in the room.
Talking about mental health is one way we can help relieve the stigma and encourage others to open up, and recognise they are not alone. Here are 8 other steps to take to help improve overall mental health wellbeing.
- Hydrate. Hydration is a key factor in overall wellbeing and contributes to the state of your mental health. Frequency H2O is multi award winning naturally alkaline mineral rich spring water so is a fantastic option to support your vitality and therefore your mental health.
- Go outside, if only to take a big deep breath of fresh air. It sounds silly, but a good dose of oxygen and sunshine can do you a world of good.
- Exercise, which helps decrease depression and anxiety and improve moods.
- Get enough sleep. Scientific researchers all agree that a lack of sleep can contribute to a high risk of depression and anxiety.
- Spend time with friends and talk. Well-being studies show time and time again that social connection and relationships are the best way to boost well being and resilience.
- Allow for quiet time. Meditate and listen to calming, ambient music.
- Avoid alcohol when possible and completely avoid other drugs.
- Do something challenge and break the monotony. Keep your brain active always!
- Stop judging yourself. No one has all the answers and perfection doesn’t exist.